Mahana Ridge… Where is this, you say? Well, unless you live in Kapalua or frequently pass through Maui’s upper West side, chances are you’re not familiar with, or have even heard of this place called Mahana Ridge. And unless you’re a golfer heading down the 7th fairway of the Kapalua Plantation Golf Course, you would never even mind the large, modern, single-level model home that has been under construction for a few years now.
What is Happening
While it began mostly under the radar, it was roughly 3-3.5 years ago the excavation work began. Then it was about 2 years ago the rock sign for “Mahana Ridge” with the Kapalua butterfly/pineapple logo was put in at the bottom of the hill located just mauka of Flemming Beach in Kapalua. And around that same time (or maybe even 6-9 months previously), construction began on this one-level oversized home. What is this?
In short, what the developer (Nan, Inc) has planned on this 51-lot, 125-acre pristine parcel of land in Kapalua is described as blending world-class luxury and contemporary island living, an iconic world-class destination of modern conveniences and Maui’s natural beauty, a finely designed estate abode, and a delight in sensory pleasure.
While there's very little in regards to sales pricing (soon), I can tell you that it is targeted at the ultra luxury buyer.
What Makes This Project Unique?
1) New Construction: Super modern luxury homes with a hint of Asian inspiration. It’s hard for me to pinpoint the blend or other influence, but the marketing literature describes Mahana model homes as “idyllic island living.”
From my recent on-site preview, this is what I learned: Cedar construction, expansive living/gathering room and kitchen concept, extra high ceilings (somewhere between a lodge-esque and hotel), massive pocket doors exposing huge ocean views, modest sized bedrooms (still large by most standards), smart home integration, exquisite craftsmanship, highly refined details, appliances, and function forward indoor/outdoor area complete with infinity pool that falls right into the ocean. This is like nothing you’ve seen in Kapalua or West Maui before.
Model Homes: The work is being done for you. The developer is offering 4 model homes ranging in interior size from 5,170-7,244 sq ft. Outdoor lanai space boasts another 1,855-4,000 of square footage.
2) Location: A premier location within the Kapalua Resort. While Plantation Estates gets all of the “luxury” billing and Pineapple Hill is conveniently located within the heart of the resort, Mahana Ridge presents a different offering in that:
- Lots at Mahana Ridge are not as large/estate oriented as Plantation Estates
- The neighborhood is not as isolated or high on the hill living as Plantation Estates
- Mahana Ridge presents a more private, exclusive environment than Pineapple Hill, with a better ocean/island view plane. The entrance of the neighborhood sits just mauka of Honoapiilani Hwy, about 1/2 mile after the entrance to the Kapalua Resort or just above Flemming Beach (and directly south of the 7th hole of the Plantation course).
3) Space: The entire neighborhood is situated on roughly 125 acres, with 51 lots ranging from approximately 1.0-4.3 acres. Conversely, lot sizes in Pineapple Hill are approximately 10,000-14,000 ft and Plantation Estates range from 2-5+ acres.
4) Kapalua Club: Ownership includes membership. Enjoy access to the Ritz Carlton pool, Spa Montage facility, pool, and the Beach Club overlooking Kapalua Bay as well as Kapalua Tennis, and several member discounts (including golf) throughout the resort.
5) Views: It sounds cliche, but it’s the main reason why dirt here can cost $1M+ (and they’re not making more of it).
6) The Company You Keep: In the company of The Montage, Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Merrimans Kapalua, world-class golf, beaches, and activities, 6 miles from Kaanapali and 10 miles from Lahaina town – Need I say more?
7) Plainly Put, It’s Sexy: And who doesn’t like sexy?
Things To Know
1) Civil infrastructure is completed, including road and underground utilities. Lots and building pads are graded (but grown over). The excavation was done in a way so the lots undulate in a way that seem to take in consideration the view planes of neighboring properties. I’ve confirmed with the lot elevation map, and every single property is at a different elevation above sea level.
2) Pricing & When They Will Go On Sale: There is nothing confirmed from the developer’s Broker just yet, but I was serious when I said this is on the ultra luxury scale of pricing. The developer is sparing no expense. These will be made to order (as long as you order from the regular menu). Contact me for more info.
3) It is only the 4th Kapalua residential neighborhood to be developed; the others being Plantation Estates, Pineapple Hill, and Kapalua Place.
About the Developer
According to the company’s website:
“With over 20 years of experience as a general contractor throughout the Pacific, Nan, Inc. has acquired a wide range of construction expertise. From historic renovations and modernization upgrades to new building construction, including multi-purpose facilities and single-family homes, Nan, Inc. has the resources and dedication to deliver on any type of project, on schedule, within budget, and with the utmost care to quality and workmanship.”
The company is headquartered in Honolulu with an array of projects, the majority in transportation, education, hospitality, civil industrial, and military housing. This would be Nan’s first large-scale residential project.
Want to Know More?
If you are in the market for buying or selling Kapalua real estate, or have any questions about the neighborhood or West Maui in general, please feel free to contact me. I welcome the opportunity to give you information about my previous sales performance and marketing strategies.
Thanks for reading,